As a parent, you love to see your kids use their imaginations and be creative, but that doesn’t mean you like to see their artwork leave the paper and find its way to the carpet. Paint stains are far too common when you have children, so here’s what to do when your kids paint the carpet.
If Caught Early (Wet Paint)
Although it may seem disastrous, paint stains are actually a lot easier to remove from the carpet than you might suspect! So before you have a freak-out and yell at your kids, take a deep breath and keep reading.
The steps to removing a paint stain depend on the nature and timing of the stain. Whatever you do, DON’T SCRUB THE SPILL. This only pushes the paint deeper into the fibers of the carpet. The right thing to do is soak up as much paint as you can with a towel.
When we say soak up with a towel, we don’t mean blot with a towel. This will have the same effect as scrubbing the paint. All you need to do is lay a paper towel over the stain and let it soak up the paint on its own. Continue repeating this process until the paper towel is staying dry.
Once you’ve soaked up as much paint as possible, let the paint dry overnight. Although it seems crazy to delay cleaning the stain, this is actually the easiest way to remove paint stains! Keep reading!
Part Two (Dry Paint)
There are a few different methods to removing dried paint. Try one of the following options.
- Scrub the stain vigorously with a rag. The paint will start coming off in small dried pieces. Once you’ve completely broken up the stain, vacuum over the area to pick up all the small paint pieces.
- Being careful not to damage your carpet, use a knife or razor blade to cut out pieces of the dried paint.
- Grab a brush or towel and put a little nail polish remover on it. Don’t use too much nail polish remover or the carpet can be damaged. Dab the dried paint repeatedly. You’ll slowly see the paint stain fade away. When the stain is gone, scrub it with a wet rag and vacuum.
- Spray the stain with a little WD-40. Let it sit for about 25 minutes. Gently dab the area, rinse with some water, and vacuum.
- Call Chem-Dry Four Seasons, whose professional stain removal service is the most effective way to make sure stains are removed permanently and won’t return anytime soon. “If we can’t get it out, no one can!”
So as you can see, you’ve got options to remove your children’s wonderful artwork from the carpet! If your kids are really enthusiastic artists and your carpets need some extra work, call the experts at Chem-Dry Four Seasons. We offer Healthy Cleaning Solutions that are safe for children, pets, and the great Washington environment. Call today to schedule an appointment!